Malong accepts to surrender his bodyguards: army
South Sudan’s military spokesman said the former army chief of staff Paul Malong Awan has accepted to surrender his bodyguards.
Lul Ruai Koang told Radio Tamazuj on Monday that the government decided to withdraw its troops and armoured vehicles surrounding the former army chief’s house after he accepted to remain with a limited number of bodyguards.
The army spokesman pointed out that an agreement has been reached, ending a weeklong standoff that raised fears of fresh fighting in Juba.
Government troops had been surrounding the home of Paul Malong since November 3 on orders of President Salva Kiir that the general surrenders his arms and bodyguards.
Malong has been under house arrest since May when he was removed by President Salva Kiir.